... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
24h time and european date format
(27.05.2013, 09:44)routeconverter Wrote:
(26.05.2013, 14:52)RoboD Wrote: I can help about translation.

Great, which language?

Polish :-)
(28.05.2013, 07:10)RoboD Wrote:
(27.05.2013, 09:44)routeconverter Wrote: Great, which language?

Polish :-)

Then please synchronize with @Piotrek71 who wants to translate, too.
--
Christian
Hi,

@RoboD sent me a Polish resource bundle and I've just uploaded a new prerelease that contains the Polish translation. Unfortunately, the UTF-8 characters didn't make it throught the PM from RoboD, so you see lots of questions marks. And the mnemonics for the menu access via the keyboard are not always valid.

Please have a look at it and send me an updated RouteConverter_pl.properties via email and make sure, it's UTF-8 encoded. The original is here:
https://github.com/cpesch/RouteConverter...properties
--
Christian
I see, the problem is known. I send you UTF-8 version.
I also have some issues with the time and date display. I'm using Java 7 on Windows 7 and Routeconverter definitely does not take the locale from the system. My locale is Dutch with date/time d-M-yyyy H:mm:ss, but routeconverter displays m/dd/yy h:mm:ss AM/PM.
Preferred language in routeconverter is set to <default>.
When I change the language to Nederlands the date/time is displayed as d-m-yy H:mm:ss. Still not according to Windows' settings.
And I like to see programs in English because I have an English Windows installation, so it is a little bother for me.

Moreover: there are a few annoing translation errors in the Dutch version. Can I correct them and how do I do that?
(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: I also have some issues with the time and date display. I'm using Java 7 on Windows 7 and Routeconverter definitely does not take the locale from the system. My locale is Dutch with date/time d-M-yyyy H:mm:ss, but routeconverter displays m/dd/yy h:mm:ss AM/PM.

Your locale is English ("en_US") if you have an English Windows installation as you're writing further down in your post. So for an English locale the output is pretty valid.

(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: When I change the language to Nederlands the date/time is displayed as d-m-yy H:mm:ss.

Great! I'd have expected that.

(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: Still not according to Windows' settings.

Why?

(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: And I like to see programs in English because I have an English Windows installation, so it is a little bother for me.

I don't get that: you're Dutch but you want to see the program in English? Why don't you change the language to English then?

(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: Moreover: there are a few annoing translation errors in the Dutch version. Can I correct them and how do I do that?

That would be great. Please download RouteConverter_nl.properties from https://github.com/cpesch/RouteConverter...verter/gui and send me an updated version via email to the address given at the end of the FAQ.
--
Christian
(16.06.2013, 20:02)routeconverter Wrote:
(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: When I change the language to Nederlands the date/time is displayed as d-m-yy H:mm:ss.

Great! I'd have expected that.

(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: Still not according to Windows' settings.

Why?

Because windows settings is d-M-yyyy (4 digit year).

Quote:
(15.06.2013, 13:36)Maarten Wrote: And I like to see programs in English because I have an English Windows installation, so it is a little bother for me.

I don't get that: you're Dutch but you want to see the program in English? Why don't you change the language to English then?

Because then I have a time format that I don't like and which takes me time to read.

The key thing is: windows has date and time format settings. These are independent from the language of the windows installation. Even within the localization you have more than one choise. My localization is Dutch (Netherlands), but I can still choose from 7 different date formats.
I would have expected that a program takes these date and time settings and uses them. That's what other programs like spreadsheets do.
What else is the use of making a system wide date and time format if the programs you run do not use it?
(17.06.2013, 16:26)Maarten Wrote: The key thing is: windows has date and time format settings. These are independent from the language of the windows installation. Even within the localization you have more than one choise. My localization is Dutch (Netherlands), but I can still choose from 7 different date formats.

Understood.

(17.06.2013, 16:26)Maarten Wrote: I would have expected that a program takes these date and time settings and uses them. That's what other programs like spreadsheets do.
What else is the use of making a system wide date and time format if the programs you run do not use it?

I'm using Java's Locale and Format framework here to be a nice citizen on every operation system on which RouteConverter runs on. It's the recommended way in Java and it keeps me away from all date/time/number format and operating system problems. Java doesn't seem to read the Windows/Linux/Mac OS X settings but uses hardcoded strings here.
--
Christian