... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding Elevation
Is there a simple way to add the elevation to my ASUS R300 GPX files in FEET and not in METERS? At present when I ask RouteConverter to add the elevation information it does so in meters, and I prefer feet above[below] sea level instead of meters. However for other purposes it works great...
Actually there is no simple way.
--
Christian
routeconverter Wrote:Actually there is no simple way.

It turns out that I can load the updated files with metric altitude into Delorme's Street Atlas USA and ask Delorme to use miles instead of metric and it then reports the altitude/elevations as feet above/below sea level instead of meters above/below sea level. What one would use in Europe, however, I do not know.
I tried to edit the few 0 elevation items in a large listing of a track where I simply could NOT get elevation information from the connection to GeoNames. I even tried to split the file into three parts, so that the 8 of 9 entries without elevation data were in their own file. I then tried to download the elevation data for those 9 points and still got 0m for the 8 of 9 that were missing values. After several attempts I tried to manually change the 0m to the average value using the values before and after these 0m entries. The change from 0m to 181m would NOT stay in the field, and the field reverted to 0m in every case. Is there a way to do this IN RouteConverter, or do I need to do it using a text file or hex editor in the saved gpx file?
RsH Wrote:The change from 0m to 181m would NOT stay in the field, and the field reverted to 0m in every case. Is there a way to do this IN RouteConverter, or do I need to do it using a text file or hex editor in the saved gpx file?

There are two different commands to update the elevation information. If you choose to complement data it does not modify existing values like the 181m you put into a position's elevation field.

Does this help?
--
Christian
routeconverter Wrote:
RsH Wrote:The change from 0m to 181m would NOT stay in the field, and the field reverted to 0m in every case. Is there a way to do this IN RouteConverter, or do I need to do it using a text file or hex editor in the saved gpx file?

There are two different commands to update the elevation information. If you choose to complement data it does not modify existing values like the 181m you put into a position's elevation field.

Does this help?

Not really. I tried the complement command first, but since there were 8 consecutive 0m values in between the 180m plus values that are close to what should have been in those missing 8 values, complement did nothing. I do not know what the maximum number of 0m values is for complement to work, but it has to be less than 8 consecutive 0m values <grin>... That is why I then tried to change the 0m value to the more correct value, but could not do so. Another example of where I might want to change the value manually is a trip recently where I went from Vancouver to the Vancouver International Airport. That requires the crossing of two bridges, and in both cases the elevation added is at or below 0 meters, to represent the sea level at those bridges, which indeed are crossing the arms of the Pacific Ocean around the Islands in Vancouver and around the airport, which is also on an island. I want to change those 0m and -1m values to 1 meter or higher, and cannot. The elevation data is correct for the LAND but not correct for the BRIDGE. That IS the right way to do it geographically but not if I am trying to get the route data close to what I think it should be.

RsH
RsH Wrote:Not really. I tried the complement command first, but since there were 8 consecutive 0m values in between the 180m plus values that are close to what should have been in those missing 8 values, complement did nothing.

If there is a value (and 0m is a value), complement does not touch the elevation.

RsH Wrote:I do not know what the maximum number of 0m values is for complement to work, but it has to be less than 8 consecutive 0m values <grin>...

Complement looks for null values. 0m is not a null value. It's the height of zero meters. Remove the value and complement should fill it.
--
Christian