... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot open gpx files
Hello,

I have been trying to use Routeconverter on a new laptop (I am successfully using it on my main laptop). I have installed Java, cleared the cache, installed Routeconverter (2.10) and yet it is not working. Whenever I want to open a gpx file, my laptop does not see it as a gpx file and wants to open it in Adobe, so of course it does not work. When I look at my gpx files in my folders, they show a little Adobe icon (not Routeconverter as it should) and these files are called "Java" (not gpx, as they should).

Can anyone please help? I am , as ever, clueless and desperate!

Thank you,

Diane
(23.08.2013, 11:46)Diane Wrote: Can anyone please help? I am , as ever, clueless and desperate!

Hi Diane,

you need to associate the .gpx extension with RouteConverter, as described here.
--
Christian
Thank you.

I have now tried this. My computer will only allow me to associate my .gpx files with Java, not with RouteConverter, which does not show in the list of programmes I can use to open the .gpx files.

I am positive I have successfully installed RouteConverter on my laptop (it opens and also shows in my list of programmes - although bizarrely it does not show in the list of programmes I could uninstall when I click on Control Panel/Programs/uninstall).

Is there anything I need to change in RouteConverter properties?

Huge thanks in advance.

Diane
(28.08.2013, 22:22)Diane Wrote: I have now tried this. My computer will only allow me to associate my .gpx files with Java, not with RouteConverter, which does not show in the list of programmes I can use to open the .gpx files.

That's because RouteConverterWindows.exe does not need to be installed. It's just a program you double click.

In the dialog to associate .gpx with a program you can select from the installed programs and you can search for a program from the filesystem. Do that with the RouteConverterWindows.exe you've downloaded and RouteConverter opens

(28.08.2013, 22:22)Diane Wrote: I am positive I have successfully installed RouteConverter on my laptop (it opens and also shows in my list of programmes -

I guess it just shows up because it's found in the Downloads folder?

(28.08.2013, 22:22)Diane Wrote: although bizarrely it does not show in the list of programmes I could uninstall when I click on Control Panel/Programs/uninstall).

That's because there is neither an Installer or an Uninstaller for it. Just delete the RouteConverterWindows.exe file and the program is gone.
--
Christian
Many thanks, Christian. It all works fine now.

Diane
i like this post