... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac OS X: Java 6 or 7?
Hi,

I'm new here.
I tried to install routeconverter but when I do so I get a message that I have to use an old version of Java = Java 6. I'm using Java 7 because of my work.

Any solutions to this problem?

with regards.
Hi Funner,

welcome to the RouteConverter forum.

Are you using Mac OS X? Yosemite? With RouteConverter 2.13.3? Please provide more information to help you solving your problem.
--
Christian
Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the little information I gave to you.
I'm using a MacBook Pro with a 2,4 GHz Intel Core i7, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1.
I'm trying to install RouteConverterMac64. I do no know the version number but I downloaded it last week from the website.
As far as I know my MacBook is a 64-bit system so I think I'm using a 64-bit Java version The Java version is: Java 7 Update 71.

I hope this is enough information for you.

With regards,

Tom
(08.12.2014, 19:04)Funner Wrote: Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the little information I gave to you.
I'm using a MacBook Pro with a 2,4 GHz Intel Core i7, OSX Yosemite 10.10.1.
I'm trying to install RouteConverterMac64. I do no know the version number but I downloaded it last week from the website.
As far as I know my MacBook is a 64-bit system so I think I'm using a 64-bit Java version The Java version is: Java 7 Update 71.

I hope this is enough information for you.

Hi Tom,

yes, this is sufficient. Let me explain the current dilemma:
  • RouteConverter relys on a WebKit-browser for the rendering of the map since there used to be no webbrowser in Java.
  • This WebKit-browser is integrated via a library that uses Eclipse SWT and provides a webbrowser control.
  • This works fine with Apples Java 6.
  • Then Apple and Oracle split up and agreed that Oracle will be providing Java for the Mac starting with Java 7.
  • With Java 7, Oracle broke the AWT/SWT-compatibility and made Eclipse SWT useless.
  • With Yosemite, Apple removed its Java 6.
Bummer!

But there is hope: I found that Oracle introduced a webbrowser control with Java FX, which is part of Java since Java 7 Update 40. And I've implemented a first integration into RouteConverter which is part of the prereleases since a while. Unfortunately, it has problems when zooming in Sad

So what are your options?
  1. Install Java 6 and use RouteConverter 2.13.3
  2. Download the prerelease and try if the new browser integration works; if not, help fixing it
--
Christian
Helo Christian,

Thanks again.
Can you tell me which I need?
What is a Jar file?
I'm used to dmg files but not to jar files and what is the difference with the app.zip?

kind regards.

Tom
(12.12.2014, 20:34)Funner Wrote: Can you tell me which I need?

It depends what you are intending. Did you decide to go for option 1?

(12.12.2014, 20:34)Funner Wrote: What is a Jar file?

Please read the Wikipedia article.

(12.12.2014, 20:34)Funner Wrote: I'm used to dmg files but not to jar files and what is the difference with the app.zip?

I've heard of these packaging types but cannot tell the difference between .dmg and .app.zip since I don't own a Mac or have access to one. JAR are the simple most packaging for Java apps. Actually the .app.zip contains a JAR, an icon, a launcher and some metadata to configure the launcher to integrate an app better into the finder.
--
Christian
(06.12.2014, 19:00)Funner Wrote: Hi,

I'm new here.
I tried to install routeconverter but when I do so I get a message that I have to use an old version of Java = Java 6. I'm using Java 7 because of my work.

Any solutions to this problem?

with regards.

Mac users running Yosemite will encounter an error when starting RouteConvertor due to the OS X Java 7 version of Yosemite. This can be solved by installing Java for OS X 2014-001 (Java 6). See http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 for further instructions.
I had the same problem with Yosemite, Java 8 and RouteConverter 2.12. & 2.13.
Just installed RC Online Edition 2.14 - works absolutely flawless.

Thanks for your efforts!

Klaus.
Thank you for the feedback. I have reports that zooming in does not work, could you verify this?
--
Christian
Hi Christian,
just tried it again, zooming in and out or moving the map around. Couldn't provoke a problem.

But: During the weekend I used RC 2.14 with Laptop and external display. Today I tried it without the external display and RC wouldn't start up. Hat to break it down by keyboard- shortcuts.
Then I put the external display back on, RC started without any problem. I moved the map from the external display to the laptop, made some changes to the map, closed RC, unplugged the the display, and again RC wouldn't start up. This time it crashed so hard that I had to kill the laptop by shutting the power off.
Now, with the external display plugged in again, it works as fine as you can wish. I installed a fresh 2.14 version that again didn't start on the laptop alone. Obviously I have a corrupt preference- file somewhere.

Best regards,

Klaus.