... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
command line conversion for Columbus binary format
Hello,

I just acquired a new Columbus V-1000 data logger and through it discover the RouteConverter project - Sounds to be a great tool.
I plan to batch convert the binary *.GPS files and for this, I've seen that RouteConverterCmdLine.jar should be of great help while TimeAlbum Pro does not support command line mode.

I've successfully converted files to various format (my target is Gpx10Format) to generate tracks.
However, I've not been able to generate POI list from the POI that my V-1000 has registered (I can see them in TimeAlbum Pro, so they are included in the .GPS file)
I tried GarminPoiFormat instead of Gpx10Format format, but it does not work either.

So my question: Is there a possibility from the RouteConverterCmdLine.jar to extract POI from my Columbus .GPS files?

That would really make this command line tool wonderfull.

Thanks in advance
diving91
(26.08.2016, 21:11)diving91 Wrote: Hello,

I just acquired a new Columbus V-1000 data logger and through it discover the RouteConverter project - Sounds to be a great tool.
I plan to batch convert the binary *.GPS files and for this, I've seen that RouteConverterCmdLine.jar should be of great help while TimeAlbum Pro does not support command line mode.

I've successfully converted files to various format (my target is Gpx10Format) to generate tracks.
However, I've not been able to generate POI list from the POI that my V-1000 has registered (I can see them in TimeAlbum Pro, so they are included in the .GPS file)
I tried GarminPoiFormat instead of Gpx10Format format, but it does not work either.

So my question: Is there a possibility from the RouteConverterCmdLine.jar to extract POI from my Columbus .GPS files?

That would really make this command line tool wonderfull.

Thanks in advance
diving91

Hello,
Did someone use Columbus V-1000 and observe the same limitation as described above?
This is a pity not being able to extract POIs from a *.GPS file (I also have extended my test with *.CSV file, but the issue is the same)

Regards
diving91
Have you tried GPSBabel or www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Grüße,
Ilmari
(06.09.2016, 14:48)IlmariKrebs Wrote: Have you tried GPSBabel or www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Hi, yes before discovering RouteConverter I used to use GPSBabel to manipulate my GPS logs.
So far I had a GPS that natively supported standard log formats.
Since a couple a week I now own a Columbus V-1000 device (supplied with TimeAlbum Pro)
TimeAlbum Pro is co-developped with RouteConverter's author and is the only software I know that support the proprietary Columbus Binary format (*.GPS)

So in short, no GPSBabel does not support Columbus V-1000 Binary log format. There is a limited support for an old Columbus V-900, but not the V-1000

Cheers
diving91
(26.08.2016, 21:11)diving91 Wrote: I just acquired a new Columbus V-1000 data logger and through it discover the RouteConverter project - Sounds to be a great tool.

Thank you.

(26.08.2016, 21:11)diving91 Wrote: So my question: Is there a possibility from the RouteConverterCmdLine.jar to extract POI from my Columbus .GPS files?

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. Probably, extract the POIs like in TimeAlbum Pro?
--
Christian
(11.09.2016, 13:24)routeconverter Wrote:
(26.08.2016, 21:11)diving91 Wrote: I just acquired a new Columbus V-1000 data logger and through it discover the RouteConverter project - Sounds to be a great tool.

Thank you.

(26.08.2016, 21:11)diving91 Wrote: So my question: Is there a possibility from the RouteConverterCmdLine.jar to extract POI from my Columbus .GPS files?

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. Probably, extract the POIs like in TimeAlbum Pro?

Hi Christian,

Yes this is exactly what I try to achieve by using the RouteConverterCmdLine.jar tool. The reason is to batch convert my *.GPS files, something that TimeAlbum Pro can't do.

Since this seems not supported by RouteConverter, I've made a Powershell script that perform this:
https://github.com/diving91/Columbus_V10...0tokml.ps1

So that might be for a future update of RouteConverter Command line

diving91
(11.09.2016, 14:27)diving91 Wrote:
(11.09.2016, 13:24)routeconverter Wrote: [..] extract the POIs like in TimeAlbum Pro?

Yes this is exactly what I try to achieve by using the RouteConverterCmdLine.jar tool. The reason is to batch convert my *.GPS files, something that TimeAlbum Pro can't do.

Dear Divine,

actually the filtering is done in the UI for the POI and Photos tab. The RouteConverterCmdLine.jar tool is just a plain read-write tool without any options. If you like, create a patch and introduce POI filtering for RouteConverterCmdLine
--
Christian
(11.09.2016, 14:38)routeconverter Wrote:
(11.09.2016, 14:27)diving91 Wrote:
(11.09.2016, 13:24)routeconverter Wrote: [..] extract the POIs like in TimeAlbum Pro?

Dear Divine,

actually the filtering is done in the UI for the POI and Photos tab. The RouteConverterCmdLine.jar tool is just a plain read-write tool without any options. If you like, create a patch and introduce POI filtering for RouteConverterCmdLine

I do not have such skills, but at least the above script does the trick, so may be useful for other users

Diving91
(11.09.2016, 15:19)diving91 Wrote: I do not have such skills, but at least the above script does the trick, so may be useful for other users

You seem to be a very experienced Powershell programmer. The step to Java is comparately small then. Basically, it's about learning the Java Development Kit functionality and the Open Source libraries that help to solve problems.
--
Christian