... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting tracks to routes with waypoints snapped to road
I use Geo Tracker on my Galaxy Note 3 to log trips I ride on my bike.

The track points are often "incorrect" with respect to the map because of an incorrect map, loss of satellite signal, etc.

When you convert a a track to a route are the points adjusted to the map route by testing against a routing server?

For the first use of RouteConverter, I recently converted a track following a creek on a defined and mapped bike path. But the resultant route turned out to be completely bonkers, departing significantly from the  mapped path and also from the logged track.

What went wrong? Do I need to tell RC to use the OpenCycleMap?
(12.02.2019, 03:29)hfinger Wrote: When you convert a a track to a route are the points adjusted to the map route by testing against a routing server?

No

(12.02.2019, 03:29)hfinger Wrote: For the first use of RouteConverter, I recently converted a track following a creek on a defined and mapped bike path. But the resultant route turned out to be completely bonkers, departing significantly from the  mapped path and also from the logged track.

What went wrong?

Hard to tell, if the GPS data is bogus, you see that on the map. More input with screenshots and test files is needed to track down the problem.

(12.02.2019, 03:29)hfinger Wrote: Do I need to tell RC to use the OpenCycleMap?

No, the maps are really just a visualization background for the track.
--
Christian
(15.02.2019, 16:07)routeconverter Wrote:
(12.02.2019, 03:29)hfinger Wrote: When you convert a a track to a route are the points adjusted to the map route by testing against a routing server?

No

(12.02.2019, 03:29)hfinger Wrote: For the first use of RouteConverter, I recently converted a track following a creek on a defined and mapped bike path. But the resultant route turned out to be completely bonkers, departing significantly from the  mapped path and also from the logged track.

What went wrong?

Hard to tell, if the GPS data is bogus, you see that on the map. More input with screenshots and test files is needed to track down the problem.

(12.02.2019, 03:29)hfinger Wrote: Do I need to tell RC to use the OpenCycleMap?

No, the maps are really just a visualization background for the track.
Thanks for your advice. I will do some more testing and report back with screen shots.

Usually the track log contains thousands of waypoints, more than any router would need. Does RC minimise waypoints?

When I load into a routing app on my phone, will the waypoints be snapped to the mapped bike path, etc.?
(16.02.2019, 00:49)hfinger Wrote: Does RC minimise waypoints?

You can trigger it:

Menu -> Positionlist
  • Convert Track to Route removes waypoints with predefined settings
  • Convert Route to Track adds waypoints
'Type' on upper right of RouteConverter window will change accordingly.

Menu -> Position
  • Delete Duplicate Positions allows you to use own settings
'Type' on upper right of RouteConverter window will not change (you can always change it manually).

(16.02.2019, 00:49)hfinger Wrote: When I load into a routing app on my phone, will the waypoints be snapped to the mapped bike path, etc.?

This depends on the software on your phone.
--
Matthias