... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big problem with FF3
It took me a long time to understand why RouteConverter was working and why it was no longer working.

I finally discoverd that the error I had with javaw.exe was due to the upgrade of FireFox V2 to V3.

I went back to FF V2 and RouteConverter is now working properly.

Has somebody has had the same problem ? I am interested to know if somebody can make it working with FF3.
(23.07.2009, 16:12)aristide Wrote: Has somebody has had the same problem ? I am interested to know if somebody can make it working with FF3.

Hi aristide,

actually I've patched the JDIC-Library to work with FF3 and it works fine for me since a long time:

Quote: public void initBrowserNative() throws JdicInitException {
[..]
// RouteConverter: modified to avoid exceptions due to FF3 in c:\programme\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe as default browser
if (WebBrowserUtil.isDefaultBrowserMozilla() && WebBrowserUtil.getBrowserPath().indexOf("firefox") == -1) {

If you're a developer, then please add System.out.printlns to org.jdesktop.jdic.init.JdicManager and tell me what is different on your system.
--
Christian
Hi Chistian,

Quote:If you're a developer, then please add System.out.printlns to org.jdesktop.jdic.init.JdicManager and tell me what is different on your system.

Thank you very munch. I know I am not the only one that has had this problem.

I am NOT a developper and I can't do the patch you suggested.

RouteConverter is not the only one application with wich I have had problems. The second one is Sweet Home 3D.
So there might be lot of other Java applications that can't work with FF3.

Do you know any patch issued by SUN or Mozilla, or is there a way for standard web users ?

Best Regards. Bernard
(24.07.2009, 13:05)aristide Wrote: Thank you very munch. I know I am not the only one that has had this problem.

That's why I did the patch. Funnily, Firefox is not used by the patched library at all. It's just that FF3 seems to set some system configurations and uses a path with a space during installation which let's JDIC fail.

(24.07.2009, 13:05)aristide Wrote: RouteConverter is not the only one application with wich I have had problems. The second one is Sweet Home 3D.
So there might be lot of other Java applications that can't work with FF3.

At least all that rely on JDIC to embed a web browser.

(24.07.2009, 13:05)aristide Wrote: Do you know any patch issued by SUN or Mozilla, or is there a way for standard web users ?

No, Sun does not develop JDIC any further.
--
Christian
Hi Christian

It seems there is no way for me to continue using FF3, is that true ?

FF3 users are round 20% of the web visitors. May be 20% of the (potential) RouteConverter users.

RouteConverter is THE converter (and may be the only one) that properly creates a kml file including more than one track.

Will you intend to release a version wich will be FF3 compatible ?

Best regards.
Bernard
(24.07.2009, 14:23)aristide Wrote: It seems there is no way for me to continue using FF3, is that true ?

You can try one of the brand new SWT-based from the prerelease page. Does that work for you?

(24.07.2009, 14:23)aristide Wrote: Will you intend to release a version wich will be FF3 compatible ?

Yes.
--
Christian
I did the tests on the PC that is equiped with FF3 -

The configuration is :
Système d'exploitation Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Nu 2600
FF : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5
Java : 1.6.0_11 (according to the test of your web site)

I tested the .exe and the SWT.jar prereleases.

The results are the same :
- the Google map stops loading after a short period of time - roughly 10 percent of the map is loaded
- I can convert at least one file, sometimes more than one. But at the end it is not possible to quit by clicquing on the X in upper right corner of the window.

I will be pleased to do tests for you at your convenience. Let me know.

Best regards.
Bernard
(24.07.2009, 17:21)aristide Wrote: I tested the .exe and the SWT.jar prereleases.

Hi Bernard,

I'm sorry RouteConverter does not work out of the box for you. Please send me the output of RouteConverter if it started from the console plus the log file. The faq explains how to get this information.

What is the path for a FF3 on your french system?
--
Christian
Hi Christian,

(24.07.2009, 18:58)routeconverter Wrote: What is the path for a FF3 on your french system?

The path to FF3 is : C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

I send you more information in a separate email with a big zip file attached.

Best regards.
Bernard
(26.07.2009, 09:31)aristide Wrote: I send you more information in a separate email with a big zip file attached.

Hi Bernard,

thank you very much for compiling all the information. I'm sorry but I cannot see what's going wrong on your machine. The information seems to be mixed from various program starts.

Please remove the RouteConverter.log, try the new EclipseSWT based prerelease and enable more debugging:

Quote:Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\slash\navigation\converter\gui\mapview]
"debug"="false"

Then send me the output.
--
Christian