... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
conversion from .kml to .pln or .flt files
(17.03.2021, 16:35)Jaro Wrote: I did not tried to minimize .kml files and I don´t know max size of the file could be imported to MSFS2020. I expected all .pln files could be imported, but I don´t know how to convert it.

I'm questioning the assumption that "all .pln files could be imported" when RouteConverter converted them from .kml files.

Why? Because .pln files contain, as @kumo found out, lots of information that isn't available in .kml files.

That why you (I don't have MSFS2020.) need to find out, what's minimally required. Then we can compare if that's contained in .kml files and if an implementation in RouteConverter makes sense since it will produce files that can be imported.

I hope that clarifies the typical process for a new file format?
--
Christian
Hi Chrisitian,

Enclosed I am sending you one .PLN file which is generated by one aircraft flight plan generator program and which is acceptable by MSFS2020. From the same source I generated .KML file ( enclosed as well).  So if you could convert this .KML file to .PLN file , I think it will be be acceptable by MSFS2020. The question is if the previous my own raw .KML file ( Barbados - Punta Cana ) has the same structure as enclosed .KML file. Best, Jaro

Attached Files
.kml   EDDMLKPR.kml (Size: 5.33 KB / Downloads: 132)
.zip   EDDMLKPR_MFS_18Mar21.zip (Size: 1.2 KB / Downloads: 125)
Maybe this makes it clear... I've removed everything from your .pln file that is not available from the .kml file.
This is the result:

Quote:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0">
    <FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
        <Title>EDDM to LKPR</Title>
        <ATCWaypoint id="EDDM">
            <WorldPosition>N48° 21' 13.62",E11° 47' 9.91",+001487.00</WorldPosition>
        </ATCWaypoint>
        <ATCWaypoint id="LKPR">
            <WorldPosition>N50° 6' 3.00",E14° 15' 36.00",+001234.00</WorldPosition>
        </ATCWaypoint>
    </FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
</SimBase.Document>

Please put this into a test.pln file and try to import it to MSFT2020. If it fails, interpret the error message and add information from the original file until it's correctly imported.
--
Christian
Hi Christian,

Thank you for your message. I created new file test.pln and start to upload the file to MSFS2020 and nothing happened. No error messages, but no data - no positions in the map of MSFS.  Just empty map.  I add some other details from the original file and it works now. Enclosed I am sending you test.pln which is working (as a straight line between two places) .  But I am not sure how I can implement such rules to my raw. kml and to all.kml raw files I have from my logger. Thank you Christian. Best , Jaro

Attached Files
.zip   test.zip (Size: 566 bytes / Downloads: 121)
(19.03.2021, 18:12)Jaro Wrote: Enclosed I am sending you test.pln which is working (as a straight line between two places) .  But I am not sure how I can implement such rules to my raw. kml and to all.kml raw files I have from my logger.

Looking a the file
  • <DepartureID>, <DepartureLLA>, <DestinationID>, <DestinationLLA> could be determined from the first and last position.
  • <Descr> could be the same like <Title> - the title of the position list i
  • <AppVersion> and the stuff below could be static
  • same with <ATCWaypointType>
  • <ICAO> could be the same like <ATCWaypoint#id>
  • <DepartureName> and <DestinationName> have no equivalent, is it possible to drop them? Or put <DepartureID> and [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]<DestinationID> into them?[/font]
Quote:<SimBase.Document Type="AceXML" version="1,0">
    <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
    <FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
        <Title>EDDM to LKPR</Title>
        <DepartureID>EDDM</DepartureID>
        <DepartureLLA>N48° 21' 13.62",E11° 47' 9.91",+001487.00</DepartureLLA>
        <DestinationID>LKPR</DestinationID>
        <DestinationLLA>N50° 6' 3.00",E14° 15' 36.00",+001234.00</DestinationLLA>
        <Descr>EDDM to LKPR created by SimBrief</Descr>
        <DepartureName>Munich</DepartureName>
        <DestinationName>Ruzyne</DestinationName>
        <AppVersion>
            <AppVersionMajor>11</AppVersionMajor>
            <AppVersionBuild>282174</AppVersionBuild>
        </AppVersion>
        <ATCWaypoint id="EDDM">
        <ATCWaypointType>Airport</ATCWaypointType>
            <WorldPosition>N48° 21' 13.62",E11° 47' 9.91",+001487.00</WorldPosition>
        <ICAO>
                <ICAOIdent>EDDM</ICAOIdent>
        </ICAO>
        </ATCWaypoint>
        <ATCWaypoint id="LKPR">
            <WorldPosition>N50° 6' 3.00",E14° 15' 36.00",+001234.00</WorldPosition>
      <ICAO>
                <ICAOIdent>LKPR</ICAOIdent>
            </ICAO>
        </ATCWaypoint>
    </FlightPlan.FlightPlan>
</SimBase.Document>
--
Christian
Hi Christian, 

Thank you for your reply. I deleted <DepartureName> and <DestinationName> and it works fine in MSFS2020 Smile  Enclosed I am sending you the file.

Please let me know if I should make other changes in the file. 

Best regards

Jaro

Attached Files
.zip   test1.zip (Size: 513 bytes / Downloads: 121)
Well, you could try to remove <Descr> and/or the <DepartureID>, <DepartureLLA>, <DestinationID>, <DestinationLLA>
--
Christian
Hi Chrisitan,

<Descr> removed, <DepartureLLA> and <DestinationLLA> removed and it works well. When I remove <DepartureID> and <DestinationID>,, it does not work. Enclosed file is working well.

Best

Jaro

Attached Files
.zip   test11.zip (Size: 481 bytes / Downloads: 124)
Hi Christian, do you have pls any update regarding the conversion of .kml to .pln files? Thank you. Jaro
Hi Jaro,
as you know this is a spare time project of mine – after family, job, work...

I've started to search for a XSD file describing the .pln file format but failed to do so. Seems I'd have to write it by hand. Any help is welcome. Donations help, too ;-)
--
Christian