... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RouteConverter and Mac OS X
(06.04.2010, 14:09)routeconverter Wrote:
(05.04.2010, 23:46)CalvinFold Wrote: RouteConverter is not doing something the Mac OS expects in order to correctly launch the right Java (perhaps not "identifying itself" in some way?).
I'd be happy to fix this if you point me to instructions how to achieve that.
If I had the slightest idea how, I would. But my last post is pretty much the limit of what I know about Java. Wink

(06.04.2010, 14:09)routeconverter Wrote: I could provide you with .app files that might work better than .jar files. Would you be willing to test them?
Sure, wouldn't hurt. Smile

(06.04.2010, 14:09)routeconverter Wrote:
(05.04.2010, 23:46)CalvinFold Wrote: Worse, the "forcing Java V6 to the top" that we're playing with here is not "typical user" stuff. Most people do not even realize Java Preferences exists.
And I guess most Mac users step back from RouteConverter if it is not working out of the box (let's don't think about the damn map problems...).
If they are casual users, that's quite likely. What I can't say is how "determined" the GPS community is. If they are more hobbiest-inclined, maybe they know to dig deeper already.

Of course, if 99% of users are PC-based, then Mac users might be a rare occurance to begin with.

I only posted what I know for any Mac users who get stuck and go looking in these forums. I was a bit more determined—yours was the only software I found that had a chance of working on the Mac. That was worth some time trying to figure things out. Wink
(06.04.2010, 14:32)CalvinFold Wrote:
(06.04.2010, 14:09)routeconverter Wrote: I could provide you with .app files that might work better than .jar files. Would you be willing to test them?

Ok, since I don't have a Mac to build I'd need a file called /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub/JavaApplicationStub. See here for a discussion on this.

And please create a file RouteConverter.icns for the attached png by using a utility provided by Apple called "Icon Composer". You'll find this in /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.

(06.04.2010, 14:32)CalvinFold Wrote: Of course, if 99% of users are PC-based, then Mac users might be a rare occurance to begin with.

The visitors of the download page are 93% PC, 3% Mac and 3% Linux... ;-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--
Christian
(06.04.2010, 15:30)routeconverter Wrote:
(06.04.2010, 14:32)CalvinFold Wrote:

Maybe something works even without your files... there is a RouteConverterPrereleaseMac.zip which is basically what comes out of a Maven build process for a OS X Bundle.

Does the naming make sense?
Is it typical to download programs in ZIP files?
Does it work?
--
Christian
FYI Christian:
I've downloaded the 'RouteConverterPrereleaseMac.zip'. After the download a folder with the name 'RouteConverterMac-1.33-SNAPSHOT' was created. The folder contains the app-file 'The RouteConverter UI tool for Mac OS X.app'.

After clicking this file the app starts with no map in the left pane but with a different message than in the latest java-app:

Code:
Failed to create chrriis.dj.nativeswing.swtimpl.components.NativeWebBrowser[1/20409082]

Reason:
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Not implemented
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Not implemented
(yes, two times: 'Not implemented ...')

Shortly after a window (named: RouteConverter ? vom ?) popped up with the error message:

Code:
Konnte '/Users/myname/Downloads/RouteConverterMac-1.33-SNAPSHOT' nicht öffnen, da das Dateiformat nicht erkannt wurde.
(english: Couldn't open '/Users/myname/Downloads/RouteConverterMac-1.33-SNAPSHOT' because unknown file format)

The right pane seems to be ok.

My System: iMac i7 / Mac OS X 10.6.3 / Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 1 - Version 1.0

I'm not a coder but let me know if I can help you in any way (testing, ...)

But maybe we have to wait for the next eclipse release ...

Thanks
Hardy
(09.04.2010, 22:30)knuddelbacke Wrote: I've downloaded the 'RouteConverterPrereleaseMac.zip'. After the download a folder with the name 'RouteConverterMac-1.33-SNAPSHOT' was created. The folder contains the app-file 'The RouteConverter UI tool for Mac OS X.app'.

After clicking this file the app starts

Is that typical for an Mac application? What can be improved here? Better names? If yes: what would you choose?

(09.04.2010, 22:30)knuddelbacke Wrote: with no map in the left pane but with a different message than in the latest java-app:

Code:
Failed to create chrriis.dj.nativeswing.swtimpl.components.NativeWebBrowser[1/20409082]

Reason:
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Not implemented
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Not implemented
(yes, two times: 'Not implemented ...')

That's reasonable as nothing changed here.

(09.04.2010, 22:30)knuddelbacke Wrote: Shortly after a window (named: RouteConverter ? vom ?) popped up with the error message:

Code:
Konnte '/Users/myname/Downloads/RouteConverterMac-1.33-SNAPSHOT' nicht öffnen, da das Dateiformat nicht erkannt wurde.
(english: Couldn't open '/Users/myname/Downloads/RouteConverterMac-1.33-SNAPSHOT' because unknown file format)

Seems the directory name is given as a file name to open. Do you know why?

(09.04.2010, 22:30)knuddelbacke Wrote: I'm not a coder but let me know if I can help you in any way (testing, ...)

I'm no Mac user so if you find things/names/etc. weird, please help me to change them according to expectations of typical Mac users.

(09.04.2010, 22:30)knuddelbacke Wrote: But maybe we have to wait for the next eclipse release ...

Regarding the map: yes, maybe I find time to try the 3.6 prerelease.
--
Christian
Hello,

I found RouteConverter today and wanted to try it out on my Mac with OS X 10.6.3 and Java 1.6.0_17 but I get the same error as described above.

I have found this error-message in my log, maybe this helps:

The RouteConverter UI tool for Mac OS X[9549]: Logging to /var/folders/Dc/Dcz5aQBKEr8i5F2FOauXPE+++TI/-Tmp-/RouteConverter.log
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at slash.navigation.gui.Application.invokeNativeInterfaceMethod(Application.java:85)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at slash.navigation.gui.Application.openNativeInterface(Application.java:94)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at slash.navigation.gui.Application.launch(Application.java:103)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at slash.navigation.converter.gui.RouteConverter6.main(RouteConverter6.java:48)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 32-bit SWT libraries on 64-bit JVM
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at org.eclipse.swt.internal.cocoa.NSThread.isMainThread(Unknown Source)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<init>(Unknown Source)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Unknown Source)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at chrriis.dj.nativeswing.swtimpl.NativeInterface$InProcess.initialize(NativeInterface.java:368)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at chrriis.dj.nativeswing.swtimpl.NativeInterface$InProcess.access$1(NativeInterface.java:363)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at chrriis.dj.nativeswing.swtimpl.NativeInterface.initialize(NativeInterface.java:169)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: at chrriis.dj.nativeswing.swtimpl.NativeInterface.open(NativeInterface.java:182)
com.apple.JarLauncher[9672]: ... 8 more

- ioeoie
(10.04.2010, 18:53)ioeioe Wrote: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 32-bit SWT libraries on 64-bit JVM

Thank you for the report. Do you know why on your machine a 64-bit JVM is choosen?
--
Christian
(10.04.2010, 19:16)routeconverter Wrote:
(10.04.2010, 18:53)ioeioe Wrote: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 32-bit SWT libraries on 64-bit JVM

Thank you for the report. Do you know why on your machine a 64-bit JVM is choosen?

I think, because OS X 10.6 is a 64-bit System...

- ioeioe
Quote:Is that typical for an Mac application?

No. But here are some possibilities:

Typically you download a .dmg-file. After the download the .dmg-file is automatically mounted and opened. You will see the icon of an .app-file and an icon of a link to the application-folder. You just have to drag the .app-file to the application-folder and you're done.

Sometimes when the .dmg-file was mounted and opened you will find a .pkg-file (and sometimes one or more .rtf- or .pdf-files or something else). You have to double-click the .pkg file to start the install routine.

You'll also find just a .tar-file or the like you have to unpack and move the .app-file to the application-folder.

Quote:Seems the directory name is given as a file name to open. Do you know why?

Not really. After the download of your .zip-file I've found a folder called 'RouteConverterMac-1.33-SNAPSHOT' with an included file 'The RouteConverter UI tool for Mac OS X' in my dowload-folder. Maybe you should compress just the file not the folder with the file?
(10.04.2010, 19:27)ioeioe Wrote: I think, because OS X 10.6 is a 64-bit System...

But I thought it's possible to execute a 32-bit version of the JVM?
--
Christian