... the user friendly GPS tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc questions
Hi
1. I have trouble opening GPX files generated with RouteConverter in GPS Track Editor. How should I save them/what should I do ?
2. What kind of file do I have to use in RouteConverter in order to store multiple "Position lists". I'd like to have several waypoints saved in different lists for different countries, in one file.

Thanks
2. At least *.gpx and *.kml file types support several position lists in one file.
--
Matthias
(06.03.2020, 14:05)kumo Wrote: 2. At least *.gpx and *.kml file types support several position lists in one file.
[Image: soundsgood.jpg]

It works indeed for *.kml files, but it doesn't work for *.gpx (GPS exchange format 1.1): when (re)opening a file saved with several waypoints lists, it shows all the waypoints in only one list.
Sorry to say: The written words in your picture are fake news.

Attached file Madeira.zip contains a file Madeira.gpx with six separate tracks of a 2009 Madeira motorbike vacation.
Unizip it and prove it for yourself. Day 1 to Day 6 can be switched on top of the position list.

And then ask me (I have administrator rights) to remove the picture from your post. This face has nothing to do here.

Attached Files
.zip   Madeira.zip (Size: 137.18 KB / Downloads: 31)
--
Matthias
(07.03.2020, 09:24)kumo Wrote: Sorry to say: The written words in your picture are fake news.

Attached file Madeira.zip contains a file Madeira.gpx with six separate tracks of a 2009 Madeira motorbike vacation.
Unizip it and prove it for yourself. Day 1 to Day 6 can be switched on top of the position list.

And then ask me (I have administrator rights) to remove the picture from your post. This face has nothing to do here.
Hi 

Thank you for your reply. Your file is OK. The problem I have is with POSITION LISTS, not TRACKS (probably recorded with a GPS).
If you change (in your file) 2..6 tracks to position lists, and then save, close and reopen the file, you will have the original separate tracks, BUT only 1 position list with all the points from all the position lists.

PS: You may remove the picture from my post if you consider it unappropiate. What's important is the message, not the person.
OK, understood.

I created a *.gpx file containing six position lists:

Before saving: Two waypoint lists, two routes, two tracks

Then I stored everything as *.gpx file and re-loaded it again:

After re-loading: One waypoint list (that contains all waypoints of 1+2), two routes, two tracks

As per Wikipedia *.gpx files can contain all three types <wpt> and <rte> and <trk> several times.

BUT from the examples in Wikipedia I see that
Code:
    <metadata>
        <name>name of the waypoint list</name>
    </metadata>
can only applied once per *.gpx file.

It appears to me that all position lists of type 'Wapoint list' in a *.gpx file are handled together.

So (Christian may correct me) here we seem to face a limitation in the *.gpx file format.

Attached Files
.gpx   test.gpx (Size: 5.75 KB / Downloads: 27)
--
Matthias
(08.03.2020, 10:15)kumo Wrote: As per Wikipedia *.gpx files can contain all three types <wpt> and <rte> and <trk> several times.

That is correct.

(08.03.2020, 10:15)kumo Wrote: It appears to me that all position lists of type 'Wapoint list' in a *.gpx file are handled together.

That is correct.

(08.03.2020, 10:15)kumo Wrote: So (Christian may correct me) here we seem to face a limitation in the *.gpx file format.

That is correct. <wpt> doesn't have a structure that allows for multiple lists like <rte> and <trk> but it simply stored waypoints.
--
Christian